Friday, October 31, 2008

Day 7 -- The camel ride happens and north to Galilee


We packed and said 'good-bye' to Jerusalem and began our trip north to the Galilee region. But first, there was this matter of a camel ride to take care of.

The Judean hills in the background frame this picture of roomates and camelmates Jane (focusing on the camera) and JoAnn (focusing on the camel).


Camels, it has been said, are the only animals created by committee, a strange creature. Have you ever heard the noise a camel makes? It starts deep in the inner chambers and echoes out the mouth in a gurgling sputter.

Chuck and Gerry just made a bet with Ricardo and Brandon -- "First one to Capernaum and back wins three goats and five cakes of raisins."


When riding a camel, you have to lean back, lean forward and then lean back as the beast of burden shifts its weight from back to front and then to the back again. Here, Bev and Peggie show us how to do it while screaming and holding on for dear life.

Riding in Israel is quite the experience. You'll be riding along and our guide say's thing like "Samson was born on the other side of that hill" and "Saul gathered his army by that stand of Eucalyptus trees" etc. The bible just comes alive in this place.

The story of Gideon preparing his army is not the way most leaders would go about it. He began by whittling it down to 300 soldiers from 30,000. It happened at this very spring. Judges 6-7 records the story that Gilla is reading from.

Beit Shean is a city that is famous in the Bible, because it is here that the corpses of Saul and his three son's were hung from the city walls after their defeat and death in battle. Over the centuries, this key crossroads location became a major Roman city. An earthquake destroyed the city in 749 and left these recently unearthed ruins for us to explore.


Within the city was a 7,000 seat theatre...and where do the theatre goers "go " at intermission? Not a lot of privacy in those days, but very effective, if not ingenious, toilet seats eh? Trust me, this was the best picture for this family blog (I have other re-enactment shots that I'm willing to sell).

What a fun day that ended with us checking into our hotel on the shores of Lake Gennesaret or as it is also known, the Sea of Galilee. So, until tomorrow, dear reader, I must sign off now and thank you for reading the narrative of this great odyssey. Feedback is always welcome. So are baked goods that look and taste like Marionberry Pie.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I am Lesley Durham's sister in Johannesburg. Your pictures are great and it is wonderful to be able to follow your trip. Please give her my love,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

hi Rosemary, I'll try and post a picture of your sister for you.

thanks,
Randy

Gayle said...

Most informative and entertaining blog I've ever read! Bravo to all those camel riders. Can't wait to hear their stories when they get home. Sounds like you may have a few black mail pictures to use on some of the ladies. Do they know you love coffee? Keep having fun and keep the blog coming. We love it!

Gayle said...

This blog is amazing. We absolutely feel like we're riding camels with you.

Anonymous said...

Randy:

I am struck dumb by what you're seeing and so wish I could be there to see it, too. It's also interesting to follow, verse by verse. Keep up the narrative. It's great!

Jennifer Sinclair

Anonymous said...

Randy:
Thanks so much for your wonderful posts that share the joy of a trip to Israel that can only really be understood by being there. Your comments bring back the amazing memories of our trip. As you have noted, the bible truly comes alive there. Even more, after you leave, every time you read the Bible, that life will continue to be there, and the desire to return to Israel, (especially Jerusalem) will always be present.
I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Paul Schmoll

Anonymous said...

What memories! If you get a chance please give our love to Gila. She is an absolute delight!I got hollored at for wandering off shooting pictures! We were there in '93 and upon our return Arlene sent Gila the Corri TennBoom (sp?)book.
Many Blessings,
Jim & Arlene Stanley

Anonymous said...

Pastor Randy,
I've really enjoyed reading your blog, and feel like I'm right there with you all. It's looks like you're all having a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to blog.
Rhonda Gill

Anonymous said...

Hi Randy....

I know that your blog entries have been a labor of love for all of us, and it's been sooo fun to see the pictures and hear the stories of where you've been each day.

Speaking of camels, not only is it great that you all got to ride them, but it reminds me of my experience when I went to Israel in 1997 with the church. I think I gave Pastor Ron a heart attack on the last day when I took a cab back up to the Mount of Olives and rode a camel! It was a huge highlight of the trip for me, and I think it's great that you scheduled camel rides for your trip!

Thanks for letting us all do a little walking with you through your stories and pictures. It's been great!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone for the comments...it sounds like we may have some candidates for a future trip?

Michelle, you are one in spirit with this group of camel riders!

Randy